Upgrade to Wheezy
Debian upgrades must be performed one version change at a time. If you don't know which version you are on, or which version is next, you can find more information on Debian Upgrades.
This upgrade should only be performed if you are already running Squeeze (6).
Upgrade Debian Squeeze to Wheezy
- Since Wheezy (7.0) will uninstall Postgres 8.3 you need to upgrade the database first, see Database Update 9.0.
Make sure your existing CanIt installation is up-to-date:
- Now upgrade the OS to Wheezy:
- upgrade-canit-appliance wheezy
- Since Debian has changed the way it distributes firmware, you may need additional packages. Even if you don't need them, installing them won't hurt so we recommend running:
- -apt-get install firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x
If, after running this command, you still receive warnings about "Possible missing firmware", please reply with the exact error message. You can check for unusual modules by perusing the output of lsmod.
- Reboot the machine.
To check if mail is flowing use the following:
- tail -f /var/log/mail-daily/current.log or wherever they are to see if working
NOTE: The above commands are for a single machine. If you are upgrading a cluster, then you should modify the steps as follows, starting with the DataBase machine:
- Stop CanIt on all cluster members before each command:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system stop-gracefully
- After the command in step (4) above, run:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system start
- Also, all commands should be run in parallel. That is, run (i) and then (1) on all machines, then (i) and (2) on all machines, and so on, finishing with (ii).
Upgrade to Jessie
Wheezy is now also out of date. Here are instructions to upgrade to Jessie. The upgrade to Wheezy MUST be done before you can upgrade to Jessie!
Wheezy will still receive security updates from Debian until May 2018 and will get new CanIt packages for years after that. You are under no immediate need to upgrade at this time, however some bugs do exist in Wheezy which have been addressed in Jessie, so it would be wise to upgrade when it is convenient.