Upgrade to Stretch
Debian upgrades must be performed one version change at a time. If you don't know which version you are on, or which version is next, you can find information on the entire upgrade path here.
This upgrade should only be performed if you are already running Jessie (8).
Running CanIt on Debian Stretch seems to be working very well thus far despite significant changes to core packages (including PHP, PostgreSQL and other core utilities).
Both CanIt appliance ISOs and upgrades of existing Jessie installs have been tested successfully and except for a few minor issues which have been patched and pushed out, everything is working fine. That said, support for Stretch is still very new and it has not yet been widely deployed. We are still considering it to be experimental.
Upgrade Debian Jessie to Stretch
- Make sure your existing CanIt installation is up-to-date:
- Now upgrade the OS to Jessie:
- upgrade-canit-appliance stretch
- Grub errors which caused problems during the Wheezy to Jessie upgrade do not see to be an issue this time around, but to be safe it is best to make sure it is properly configured anyways:
- dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
- Reboot the machine:
- tail -f /var/log/mail-daily/current.log or wherever they are to see if working
NOTE: The above commands are for a single machine. If you are upgrading a cluster, then you should modify the steps as follows, starting with the DataBase machine:
- Stop CanIt on all cluster members before each command:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system stop-gracefully
- After the command in step (4) above, run:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system start
- Also, all commands should be run in parallel. That is, run (i) and then (1) on all machines, then (i) and (2) on all machines, and so on, finishing with (ii).
Upgrade to Buster
Stretch is the current Stable release of Debian and Roaring Penguin does not support the 'Testing' release of Debian. The Testing version, Buster, should not be expected until around 2020 (Debian's release cadence tends to be approximately 3 years). Stretch will be supported for many years after Buster becomes the Stable release.
When Buster is eventually released be aware that the upgrade to Stetch MUST be done before you can upgrade to it!