Upgrade to Jessie
Debian upgrades must be performed one version change at a time. If you don't know which version you are on, or which version is next, you can find information on the entire upgrade path at Debian Upgrades.
This upgrade should only be performed if you installed from, or already ran the Upgrade to Wheezy (Debian 7).
Upgrade Debian Wheezy to Jessie
- Make sure your existing CanIt installation is up-to-date:
- Now upgrade the OS to Jessie:
- upgrade-canit-appliance jessie
- We have had troubles with some appliances failing to install the Grub bootloader after the Jessie upgrade, so be sure to generate it again for all hard drives:
- dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
- At this point the new version of CanIt is running, but Debian is not yet using it's new kernel. This requires a reboot:
To check if mail is flowing use the following:
- tail -f /var/log/mail-daily/current.log
or wherever the logs are stored (/var/log/mail.log if the log-indexer is not installed).
NOTE: The above commands are for a single machine. If you are upgrading a cluster, then you should run each on all machines before moving onto the next step, starting with the DataBase machine. Also modify the steps as follows:
For steps 1:
- First download the packages before installing them to minimize downtime by running the command with the following flag after it:
- upgrade-canit-appliance --download-only
- Stop CanIt on all cluster members:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system stop-gracefully
- Run the actual command listed for that step above.
- After the command above, run:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system start
Repeat for step 2.
Then run steps 3 and 4.
Upgrade to Stretch
With the release of Stretch in June 2017, Jessie is now the Old-Stable version of Debian, however it is still considered to be the stable version for use with CanIt.
While Stretch has been tested successfully and packages are available for it, we still consider it to be experimental. A wiki has been created detailing the Upgrade to Stretch.
Jessie will still be supported by Debian and CanIt packages will be released for it for the foreseeable future, so you are under no immediate obligation to upgrade. Also, when Stretch does become stable be aware that the upgrade to Jessie MUST be done before you can upgrade to it!
We will send an announcement out when Stretch is determined to be stable. If you are not signed up for our mailing list, you can find it here.