Upgrade Debian Lenny to Squeeze
You must go from Debian release to Debian release, unlike CanIt itself which allows "jumping" over interim releases.
Since Lenny is no longer supported, we recommend upgrading the Debian version to Squeeze (6.0). (DO NOT upgrade to Wheezy (7.0) without first contacting us.) Here are the commands you should run as root. We recommend doing the upgrade during Roaring Penguin's office hours (Mon-Fri, 9:00-17:00 EST) in case you run into trouble.
- Make sure your existing CanIt installation is up-to-date:
- Now upgrade the OS to Squeeze:
- upgrade-canit-appliance squeeze
- Since Debian has changed the way it distributes firmware, you may need additional packages. Even if you don't need them, installing them won't hurt so we recommend running:
- apt-get install firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x
If, after running this command, you still receive warnings about "Possible missing firmware", please reply with the exact error message. (Run lsmod and check for unusual modules just in case.)
- Reboot the machine. After the machine boots run the following to check if mail is flowing.
- tail -f /var/log/mail.log or wherever they are to see if working
NOTE: The above commands are for a single machine. If you are upgrading a cluster, then you should modify the steps as follows, starting with the DataBase machine:
- Before every command above, run:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system stop-gracefully
- After the command in step (4), run:
- /etc/init.d/canit-system start
- Also, all commands should be run in parallel. That is, run (i) and then (1) on all machines, then (ii) and (2) on all machines, and so on.
Upgrade to Wheezy
Squeeze is now also out of date. Here are instructions for the next upgrade The upgrade to Squeeze MUST be done before you can upgrade to Wheezy!
CanIt support for Lenny was only dropped as of CanIt version 10.1.5, and it is likely that we will continue to support Squeeze for a couple years after that release. However, Debian stopped providing security patches for Squeeze in February 2012, so despite the fact that CanIt will continue to get updated, it would be wise to upgrade whenever possible.
More on Debian upgrades here.